As you prepare for your first Atlanta Jewelry Show, keep in mind these helpful tips:
Packing Check List:
In addition to the basics you’ll be packing, here are a few other items that will make your trip productive and maximize your vendor interaction:
- Comfortable shoes
- Vendor references
- Business cards
- Business license
- Photo identification
- Book your hotel as soon as possible to take advantage of the lowest negotiated room rates. Click here for details.
- Know your open-to-buy. As a guideline, your open-to-buy is the available amount of money you can spend for merchandise within a given time period based on your overall budget plan. To calculate your open-to-buy at any point during the month: Beginning of the month dollar inventory – Retail Sales + Purchases – Markdown dollars = End of month inventory
- A buying plan would be a great tool to keep you focused and productive. This would include a list of vendors you plan to see, types of inventory and amounts you expect to purchase.
On-Site During the Show
- The Registration Lobby is where you will check in and pick up your required show admission badge.
- Pick up a Show Guide. It’s your road map for the entire show, features, education and vendors, and an essential planning tool.
- Stop by “Showplace” at the show entrance for a sneak peek at many of the fabulous designs you’ll see on the show floor.
- Enjoy the $5 Buyer Lunch at the Market Place Cafe on the show floor to relax and regroup during your busy buying day.
- Work with your established vendors first, and make sure to allow time to find new resources too.
- Ask vendors to ship catalogs and collateral to your store so you won’t have to pack and carry them.
While each vendor’s specifications may vary, here are some key details to keep in mind:
- Beginning, completion and delivery dates
- Style numbers
- Colors and quantities
- Method of shipping
- Costs and Terms
- When placing orders, take good notes and photos of the merchandise ordered and the reasons you choose it. This will help you prepare your store sales staff for incoming merchandise.
- Share your show experience on social media to excite your customers and followers about the new merchandise arrival.
- Complete your orders while at the show to earn valuable AJS Rewards points. These points can be redeemed for anything from state-of-the-art electronics and luxury travel packages to sporting goods, appliances and more. Click here for details!
Confirm the exact ship date for each order as well as the method of shipping. And remember, the “ship date” (when merchandise leaves the manufacturer) is different from the “in store” date (when merchandise will arrive at your store). If you are planning a special event or promotion, make sure your “in store” date is scheduled at least three-five days before that event.
If you have any further questions or need more information, don’t hesitate to contact us at 800.241.0399 | 404.634.3434 or email Susan Hambrick, Buyer Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org